Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Wooden Hen

While I was on vacation in PA, my aunt and I visited the Shaker Woods Festival in Columbiana OH. One of the premises of why we choose to go to PA at this time in August was just so I could visit Shaker Woods.

Shaker Woods is just that...it is an area of trees in the middle of about 10 acres in OH. Inside this grove of trees is a small village of craftspeople, who make things by hand and then sell them on certain weekends in August. There are blacksmiths, furniture makers, glass blowers among them. One of my favorite proprieters though is the Wooden Hen. These are handcrafted wooden pieces made by a couple located in OH.


Last summer I was unable to go to Shaker Woods. We didn't not time our vacation correctly in order for me to go. Instead, my aunts purchased an Americana Angel for me. Well, it was love at first sight. I just love this stuff. Thus, much better planning was made this year.


Everything I purchased at Shaker Woods was from Brian and Marina, the owners of the Wooden Hen. Not that I didn't walk around and look at the other wares, I am just totally in love with their stuff. Just can't explain it. I love antiques and primitive crafts, so these fit right into my decor. My favorite purchase has to be Uncle Sam. He is about 6 feet long and is holding a firecracker. Fortunately, we have very high ceilings in our house, and I have a great spot picked to hang him. I also got an angel who is almost six feet long to take his space in the winter and spring months. I couldn't pass up the witch either. I figure she is going to look awesome on the front door. Oh, and I can't forget the pumpkin that will stand alone. How cool is he? I understand that she also has flying Santas, and I am scheming about having my aunts get me one of those when they go to the Shaker Woods Christmas Festival.



No comments:

Post a Comment